Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Toto--nous ne sommes pas dans l'Arkansas!

We definitely are not in Arkansas any longer -- or North Carolina for that matter! After a night of adjusted sleep - asleep at 7pm, awake at 2am, asleep again at 5am, awake at 10am (you get the picture), I have still not quite adjusted. So - I guess it is a really good thing I gave myself a few days before classes begin.

I moved into the apartment around 12. Thierry, the manager, is very nice. I am not sure, however, who did the counting when they advertised 4th Floor walk-up...by my count it was 8. But I am sure it will only make me better - and healthier - if it does not kill me first.

I spent the afternoon walking around St. Michel, one of my favorite neighborhoods, and also did a little grocery shopping. I am not sure if I have yogurt or butter in my fridge, but guess I will find out at breakfast. It was also a little shocking to see the eggs stored on the shelves instead of in the refrigerated section. It took ten minutes - and a long line of annoyed French women behind me - to figure out how to ask if they carry Sweet-and-low, but now I know (sucre).

Walked to dinner at a little bistro on the corner and had the French equivalent of bruschetta. I chose the ratatouille version (tomatoes, onion, squash) with a little goats cheese on toasted bread. And if you had not already guessed, even BAD bread in France is GREAT bread anyplace else.

Long day...maybe the internal alarm will catch up by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment