Friday, June 17, 2011

Americans in Paris.





The last few days have been some of the best since I arrived in Paris; creating great dishes, learning new techniques, meeting new people, and learning more about French culture.

First, and perhaps foremost, the great dishes. Prior to landing in Paris, I believed I did not care for cheese and turned my nose up at any dish containing cheese. Until I tasted the delicate cheese wafers created by food instructor, Shelley. They are a serious cross between cracker and cookie, with a definite lean toward savory. Most of the cheese crackers I have felt obliged to try in the past have been some sort of dry, strong, American sharp cheddar sort of thing. These were moist, did not scream "cheese", and were, literally, melt-in-your-mouth wonderful. Did I mention they were served warm with tequila red pepper jelly? Made from scratch, of course. The French like to serve them as an appetizer with a drink that is half orange liqueur and half champagne.

Classes today were also exceptional. The dishes were created based on market produce and the morning was geared toward learning to choose the freshest meat, fish, and produce at one of the many wonderful markets one can enjoy every day in Paris. With our purchases, we learned to make roast monkfish with basil-infused potatoes and a creamy garlic and parsley sauce, white asparagus with mousseline sauce and salmon roe and, cold strawberry and ginger soup with yogurt sorbet. Now, speaking as a nut/chocolate dessert girl, I'll admit I was initially disappointed by our choice of desserts. But - and excuse the pun - I am eating my words. If I do say so myself, the yogurt sorbet may be the best thing I have ever eaten. And though we learned during the presentation portion of class to present the "soup" and the sorbet separately, when we enjoyed the results of our work, we served the sorbet in a bowl of the strawberry soup...a creamy island in a moat of ginger-laden strawberry puree. (A few photos are attached here and the rest are on Facebook.)

A lot was learned about Parisian/French culture the past few days. We attended a Paris Meet-up with a great group of people - an international mix of men and women who are in Paris for a variety of reasons and timeframes. Most have lived here for 15 months or longer and hail from Germany, Denmark, Canada, and the US. Most spoke French fluently, of course, and were able to share insights and information that will prove helpful to me during my stay. It was a great night with great fellowship and wonderful food.

And, finally, there were the inevitable learn-as-you go / learn from other's mistakes (if you're smart) situations.
1) If you want to make sure everyone knows you're American, be sure to wear your North Face vest around town and ask for Diet Coke every chance you get. Fortunately, I did not do either of those things.
2) White pants, colorful tops, and a Vera Bradley backpack are a neon sign saying, "I'm American". Wait, that isn't strong enough. They SHOUT "American". And, yes, I was guilty of that one...twice. Have you ever looked around a foreign city Metro train and realized - I stick out like a sore thumb? It is a humbling experience. Who knew Parisians would all be dressed in black, gray, and other neutrals?
3) Parisians do not eat before 8pm at night. So for those of us used to a Lean Cuisine around 5:30 well, we have just moved past it and walk home from dinner in an effort to at least start the digestive process before going to bed.
3) Someone needs to remind the people of Paris - or at least arrondissement 6 - that horn honking at night is illegal. Yours truly is going to get very cranky without sleep and, since I do not have air conditioning, my windows were open last night. Someone had NOT gotten the no horns memo...so now I have a fan and the windows are closed.

With the amount of food I have just finished describing, you might think dinner would be the
furthest thing from my mind. Wrong. I am off to eat again.

Bonsoir!



3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful blog and record of your journey. The dishes are all mouth-watering. It seems you have advanced from an excellent cook to an exceptional chef. And your observations about Americans abroad are well noted!

    Thank you for sharing all the wonderful things you have learned, seen, and done. I look forward to reading your blog every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food must be wonderfull.I would love to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the fashion statements in here very enlightening. I had heard that black was the color of the day but then you hear other things too like "Brown is the new black". :-) I hope you are going to turn this into a book. I really do.

    ReplyDelete