Monday, June 13, 2011

Language and laundry

The next time you all see me, I will be wearing a size 0. Unfortunately, that won't be because I have lost weight. It will be due to my inability to adequately work the washer/dryer in my apartment. Actually, I may be using it correctly - but I am navigating a machine that both washes AND dries...all in one machine. You put your clothes in, choose a cycle, and a few hours later your clothes have been cleaned and dried without moving them from one machine to another. The cycles are rapide, taches dificiles, soin, sechage, froid, or rapassage facile. You can see my dilemma. I do know what those words mean. But considering what happened washing jeans on soin (care cycle),you can imagine the problem when one accidentally chooses taches dificiles (difficult stain) cycle...size six becomes size zero.

Last night we were guests in the home of a French couple and the evening was a delight! Monsieur and Madam Billy were so accueillant (hospitable) and we enjoyed experiencing France with Parisians. The conversation was good and, not surprisingly, Monsieur Billy and I had a lively discussion on the Bush administration and the Iraq war. (Yes, some of us are still having trouble moving past it.) Monsieur (Allan) is retired from a job in international finance and they have lived all over the world and have traveled extensively. We did learn Parisians are not that different from Americans, although one area stood out. They do not refer to their pets as a he or a she. They are an "it". As someone who carries a photo of her pup in her wallet and calls home just to say "hello" to her pet, you can imagine my
dismay. But it was a great evening with wonderful wine and good food and, if I do say so myself, Susan and I did an adequate job of disguising the fact that we do not eat red meat, even when a plate of veal was placed before us. (Fortunately, there had been A LOT of wine.) The best drink of the evening, however, was Kir. It is a French cocktail made with a portion of creme de cassis (black currant liqueur) and topped with white wine. I was hesitant at first, but it was delicious.



We had some down time late today and went to see the new Woody Allen movie, "Midnight in Paris". It was already pretty amazing to be watching it in Paris. But during one of the opening scenes, there is a lengthy shot of a movie theater in the St. Germaine des Pres neighborhood in Paris, and it happened to be the exact theater we were sitting in watching the movie. The audience all got a great thrill over it, Susan and I included.

It is 8:30pm here -- and it has been another great day. I am looking forward to a day off tomorrow and a side trip to the Champagne region. I have not seen that part of France, so I am eager for the ride there for a view of the countryside almost as much as the visits to the champagne cellars.

For some reason I am still unable to upload my photos to the blog, but have posted them on Facebook and hope everyone enjoys seeing a bit of our day.

Bonsoir.

1 comment:

  1. The countryside views of France must be wonderful. Enjoying the photos.

    ReplyDelete