Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Change of Habit

I'l be the first to admit it:  I have a thing for the 6th arrondissment, specifically Saint-Germain-des-Pres.  I have become quite comfortable making the district "home". Yes, it is busy and sometimes loud.  Yes, areas have become a little touristy after being featured in a number of films.  But it is also an artistic hub with museums and dozens, if not hundreds, of art galleries. Even better - in my humble opinion - is having the Jardin du Luxembourg in such close proximity. I can stroll the gardens for hours and can appreciate the architecture of the Luxembourg Palace. 

The apartment I fell in love with along rue Mazarine was close to 3 metro stations, good shops and cafes, 3 movie theaters, including one which features films in English.  One of my favorite days in Paris was spent watching "Midnight in Paris" in this theater, which was shown during the opening credits of the film.  Almost more important than architecture, film, or transportation -- the apartment was only a stones throw from Amorino Gelato shop where they shape your gelato on the cone to look just like a beautiful, tasty flower.

But, let's face it...it is PARIS.  I think we can assume they have gelato, cozy cafes, and metro stations in the other 19 arrondissments as well.

So, this year, I will be exploring two new districts: the 7th (Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars), which is on the Left Bank and the 3rd arrondissment, on the Right Bank, where I will explore Le Marais.  Two very different districts.  But both quintessentially Paris.

I will look forward to taking everyone on a tour through both of these great areas as I learn more about my favorite city, Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment